Polo Universitario Santa Marta - University of Verona
Via Cantarane, 24, 37129 Verona VR
Visit the website to get more information and pictures
The University Site of Santa Marta is located in a huge complex of military architecture, originally used for the production and storage of bread, grain and other troop rations. The building, built between 1863 and 1865, was one of the most impressive logistics plants in the Austrian stronghold in Verona, Italy’s most important military city, and one of the most significant in Europe. After annexation to the Kingdom of Italy, the plant remained in use for over a century, with a variety of new functions, until the 1990s.
After recent renovation by Verona University, the Santa Marta complex is now the site for its Economics and Law Departments, as well as housing the Economics Library. The work of architectural restoration involved careful qualitative research and the use of innovative technologies. One example is the state-of-the-art geothermal plant for renewable energy. The renovation work carried out by Massimo Carmassi and Gabriella Ioli Carmassi, in conjunction with Iuav Studi e Progetti, was awarded the Gold Medal for Italian Architecture at the Milan Triennale in 2015.
A permanent exhibition in the former bakery covers the history of the building and its relations with the city, with the further dimension of how soldiers were fed.